Joshua Stadtler is a partner in Dunn Carney’s business and commercial, employment, insurance coverage, and real estate litigation teams. His practice also includes appellate, insurance defense, and trusts and estates litigation.
Josh chairs Dunn Carney’s Pro Bono Committee. In that role, he manages the firm’s participation in a monthly night legal clinic with Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO) where the firm’s attorneys meet low-income clients to assist them with a variety of civil issues (such as consumer law, disability benefits, small claims, landlord/ tenant disputes, debt collection and garnishments, estate problems, and expungements). He also maintains an active pro bono practice, in which he primarily represents victims of domestic violence in contested restraining order hearings and other indigent clients in various civil matters through LASO’s Volunteer Lawyers Project.
Prior to joining Dunn Carney, Josh practiced in the San Francisco Bay Area office of Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP where he concentrated on federal environmental litigation and regulatory matters, white collar criminal defense and internal investigations, and general commercial litigation. Josh has represented Fortune 500 corporations in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the country, as well as clients in investigations conducted by the US Department of Justice, the Environmental Protection Agency and other regulatory enforcement agencies.
Previously, Josh served as a law clerk in the Law & Motion Department of the San Francisco Superior Court. While in law school, Josh served as a judicial extern to the Hon. Joseph C. Spero (2010) and the Hon. Susan Illston (2008) of the US District Court, Northern District of California, and as clerk in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office (2009) as part of the Hastings Criminal Practice Clinic.
While earning his J.D. at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, Josh was senior production editor and a member of the Board of Editors for Hastings Law Journal, and competed in the national products liability competition for the Hastings Moot Court Team. He also earned the Witkin and CALI Awards for Academic Excellence in Advanced Business Law Seminar, Business Associations, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Contracts and Negotiation & Settlement, and was named to the Thurston Honors Society.
In between graduating from college and beginning law school, Josh served in the United States Peace Corps in South Africa, worked at several law firms as a paralegal and spent 18 months on a solo journey through a dozen countries in Latin America and across Germany and other parts of Europe during the 2006 World Cup.
Born and raised in San Francisco, Josh moved to Portland in 2012 with his wife Lily. Three years later, Josh and Lily welcomed their first-born daughter Stella. In Josh’s free time, he enjoys cooking, taking Stella to the Oregon Zoo, going to Timbers matches (in the Timbers Army), and hiking in the Hoyt Arboretum and Forest Park.
- Washington, 2017
- Oregon, 2013
- District of Columbia, 2012
- California, 2010
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, District of Oregon
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., English, cum laude, 2002
- Oregon State Bar
- Business Litigation Section
- Real Estate & Land Use Section
- Nonprofit Organizations Law Section
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Young Lawyer Section
- Pro Bono Committee, 2014-2016
- Service to the Public Committee, 2013-2014
- Young Lawyer Section
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- State Bar of California
- District of Columbia Bar
- Portland Homeless Family Solutions
- Treasurer/Secretary, 2016-present
- Secretary, 2015-2016
- Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Michael E. Haglund Pro Bono Award, 2015 (Multnomah Bar Association / Legal Aid Services of Oregon / Oregon Law Center)
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO)
- Domestic Violence Project (DVP) – Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA) Restraining Order Hearings
- Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) – Night Clinic
- Dunn Carney Pro Bono Committee
- Chair, 2015-Present
- LASO/OLC/MBA Pro Bono Committee
- “25 Years of Service Legal Aid Night Clinic,” Multnomah Lawyer (January 2017, Page 11)
- Oregon State Bar, BarBooks, Damages, Chapter 7: “Medical Expenses” (2016 Revision), with Samuel T. Smith
- “Craig W. Russell – Pro Bono Spotlight” Multnomah Lawyer (January 2016)
- “Joshua Stadtler, Michael Haglund Award Winner” Multnomah Lawyer (May 2015)
- “Pro Bono Practice = Lawyering Skills for Paying Clients” Multnomah Lawyer (October 2014)
- “Portland’s Mandatory Protected Sick Time Ordinance: Are You Ready?” Dunn Carney Employment E-news
- Note, “Ortiz Got It Wrong: Why the Seventh Amendment Does Not Protect the Right to Jury Trial in Class Action Suits Under FRCP 23,” 61 HASTINGS L.J. 1561 (2010)
- Panelist, Lewis & Clark Law School, Public Interest Law Project, Spring 2016 Speaker Series, Working for the Public Interest While Practicing in the Private Sector, April 6, 2016
- Panelist, MBA YLS/OSB Pro Bono Fair & Celebration, Pro Bono for New Lawyers: Getting Your Feet Wet Without Drowning, October 29, 2015
- Successful defense of metal fabricator in Oregon state court against claims for account, account stated, breach of contract on purported promissory note and judicial foreclosure on purported security agreement (general judgment of dismissal with prejudice).
- Favorable settlement at mediation for general contractor in construction defects lawsuit in Oregon state court premised, in part, on joint venturer liability and involving construction of single-family residence.
- Favorable settlement at mediation for residential tenants in Oregon stat court against landlords for statutory habitability violations.
- Favorable settlement by accepted offer of judgment in defense of construction company in Oregon state courts against removal of lateral support, negligence and ultrahazardous activity claims.
- Favorable settlement obtained in favor of former employee after jury verdict and entry of judgment in lawsuit for retaliation and employment discrimination in Oregon state court (after defeating motions for judgment notwithstanding the verdict and new trial).
- Affirmed on appeal involving contract formation issue by the Oregon Court of Appeals in Bridge City Family Medical Clinic, P.C. v. Kent & Johnson, LLP, 270 Or. App. 115 (2015).
- Obtained approval for landscape project for single-family homeowner in dispute with homeowners association (HOA).
- Favorable settlement obtained in favor of landlord for breach of lease against commercial tenant and action on guaranty against guarantor in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement after mediation in favor of former employee in lawsuit for disability and age discrimination in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
- Obtained approval from title insurance company via proof of loss for payment of homeowner’s losses sustained in resolution of building and zoning violations.
- Favorable settlement by confession of judgment in favor of materials supplier against customer for nonpayment on account in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement obtained in favor of landlord for breach of lease against commercial tenant in Washington state court.
- Favorable settlement of objections to accountings and surcharge petition for breaches of fiduciary duties and vulnerable person abuse against former conservator in Oregon state court.
- Motion to dismiss granted and general judgment of dismissal obtained for vehicle assembly company against complaint for unlawful trade practices and fraud in Oregon state court.
- Judgments and awards of money damages obtained in favor of landlord for breach of lease against commercial tenant and action on guaranty against guarantor in Oregon state court; executed on judgment by domesticating Oregon judgment in New Jersey and seizing funds held in guarantor’s New Jersey bank account.
- Favorable settlement by stipulated restraining order and confession of judgment in favor of petitioner in stalking protective order case in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement prior to arbitration for employer on its breach of severance agreement claim against former employee.
- Favorable global settlement defending against four insurance coverage cases for equitable contribution, equitable subrogation and indemnity in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement at mediation defending against insurance coverage complaint for declaratory relief, contribution and contractual and extra-contractual damages in Washington state and appellate court.
- Successful defense against complaint for recovery of fraudulent transfers of real estate in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon (voluntarily dismissal by plaintiff).
- Favorable settlement by accepted offer of judgment for former employee in lawsuit involving Sarbanes-Oxley Act whistleblower retaliation and wrongful discharge claims in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.
- Favorable settlement at trial for trustee in case involving formation of trust, breach of fiduciary duties and an accounting in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement at mediation for surety and former personal representative of estate in surcharge action for breach of fiduciary duties in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement at trial for trustee in case involving petition to remove trustee and appoint successor trustee, and for an accounting, money damages and attorney fees in Oregon state court.
- Successful defense against motion for preliminary injunction in trade dress infringement and unfair competition, trade dress dilution and misappropriation of trade secrets, and intentional interference with contracts and prospective economic advantage lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
- Favorable settlement at mediation for former employees in breach of contract, age and religious discrimination, and retaliation lawsuit in Oregon state court.
- Favorable settlement before trial for construction company against claims of conversion, trespass to chattels and unjust enrichment in Oregon state court.