Heather is a partner at Dunn Carney who focuses on estate planning and general business law. She is a member of the firm’s Trusts and Estates practice group and the firm’s Business Team.
Heather’s estate planning practice includes developing comprehensive plans for estates of all sizes, from smaller estates of couples planning for young children to multi-million dollar estates using complex tax-planning strategies. Heather also assists clients in establishing and administering guardianships and conservatorships, and through probate and post-mortem trust administration. Her business practice focuses on financing transactions, most often representing borrowers in negotiating complex real estate loan transactions, including New Markets Tax Credit loans and HUD loans.
In 2011-2014, Heather was named to the Five Star Professional List in Estate Planning in the Portland Area. She is also very active in the community working with the United Way of the Columbia-Willamette, Guide Dogs for the Blind and the Allied Professional Council for Legacy Health System. She is licensed to practice in Oregon and Washington. She can communicate reasonably well in Spanish and French.
- Oregon, 2000
- Washington, 2000
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D., 1999
Environmental Law Review, Form and Style Editor, 1998-1999
- Portland State University, 1995
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Washington State Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar Estate Planning and Administration Section, Member
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Guide Dogs for the Blind, Member of the Planned Giving Committee, 2012-present
- United Way of the Columbia-Willamette, Planned Giving Committee, 2007 – 2012; Board of Directors, 2014-present; Planned Giving Advisory Council, Chair, 2014-present
- Allied Professional Council for Legacy Health System, Council Member, 2013-present
- Oregon City Parks and Recreation, Member, Advisory Committee, 2002-2004
- Updates to the Federal Estate, Gift and Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Laws and Oregon Planning Opportunities for the Taxable Estate, presented to UBS Financial, February 2013
- Federal and State Estate Tax Update and Unique Challenges of the Agri-Business Family, Dunn Carney Agricultural Summit, January 2013
- All about Trusts-Revocable Living Trusts, Joint and Single Trusts, Dunn Carney Estate Planning and Administration Seminar Series, April 2012
- Updates on the Oregon Estate Tax Law and Planning for the Taxable Estate, presented to Umpqua Investment Services in March 2012
- Updates on the Oregon Estate Tax Law and Planning for the Taxable Estate, presented to UBS Financial, February 2012
- Estate Planning: Wills and Trusts, Advice for Life sponsored by Frazier Hunnicutt, 2010
- Estate Planning and Administration, Oregon State Bar Learning the Ropes Seminar, 2008-2013.
- Managing Loans When Milk Prices Fall to the Oregon Dairy Farmers’ Association, 2009.
- Estate Planning, Coldwell Banker brokers, 2009
- Considerations in Estate Planning, Oregon Federal Executive Board, 2009
Honors and Awards
- 2011-2014 Five Star Wealth Manager